Lemonade is the perfect beverage for hot summer days. What better way to serve lemonade to your BBQ guests than on a custom shabby chic tray?! This beautiful piece was made as a part of my Blueberry Lemonade Chic patio makekover. You can mix up the colors and patterns to coordinate with your own decor.
- Rectangular Tray 10 x 12
- Scrapbook paper
- Mod Podge, matte
- Foam brushes
- Acrylic or interior paint
1. Since your scrapbook paper is likely not the correct size already, place it inside the tray and cut it to size.
2. Using a foam brush, spread a thin layer of Mod Podge onto the bottom inside of the tray. Let sit for a few seconds to get it tacky then place the paper into the tray and smooth flat.
3. Add a generous layer of Mod Podge over the paper, making sure to get all the edges. Do not be concerned if the paper bubbles up some. It will flatten as it dries.
4. Trace the edges of the tray onto another piece of scrapbook paper and cut them out.
5. Repeat steps 2 and 3 on each outside side of the tray. You may need to do two sides at a time then let those dry before moving on.
6. Once the Mod Podge has dried, carefully paint the remaining edges, inside the handles, and inside the tray (not including the bottom.) You may need to add a couple layers of paint for full coverage. Don’t worry, if you get paint a little onto the scrapbook paper section, you can easily wipe it off quickly thanks to the coating used. If you feel more comfortable with it, you can paint the tray first and work with the paper after, either way works, but be sure to let it dry between so the paint doesn’t steak onto your paper.
To use this tray, I added a couple small doilies as an extra barrier with the finish to protect from condensation, then placed a pitcher of lemonade and a bowl of blueberries inside. I even decorated with lemons. Click here for my Homemade Blueberry Lemonade recipe.
The lemonade in its adorably chic tray made a great addition to our grill out. I kept my Blueberry Basil Lemonade Citronella Candles nearby to fend off the bugs as we enjoyed our patio.
For dinner, we served Zesty Burgers with Veggies and they were so delicious with the lemonade. I wanted to tie everything together in my shabby chic style, so I used the 14 x 24 Rustic Pallet to cover some of my glass table and an inverted Basswood Country Slab to hold our condiments. (Also pictured: Painted Burlap Outdoor Throw Pillows.)
I also included a gorgeous clock accent piece, made the same way as the tray, using the Large Round Clock and the Clock Movement 3/4″ and Hands. I added a doily to pull it completely together with the tray and set it on a cookbook stand. Fresh flowers gave it the perfect touch.
I love Walnut Hollow products. They are so beautiful and versatile; the DIY possibilities are endless to fit whatever your style may be. Their surfaces are durable enough for outdoor use, perfect for your summer barbecues. I especially love that they are made in the USA with a focus on the environment. Be sure to visit the Walnut Hollow website to see more of their products.
What is your favorite food to serve with lemonade? Tell me in the comments.