Hey everyone, Katie here!
Today I wanted to share a fun project. I’ve been seeing a lot of different takes on “giant” backyard board games, such as Yard Yahtzee or giant Scrabble games and I just love the ideas. I wanted to make a large game I could store on my porch and take out into the yard to play, so I created this large Tic Tac Toe board! I love playing tic tac toe, but it is also a great outdoor entertainment piece for kids!
I painted the X’s & O’s to look like pineapples and watermelons for Summer, but obviously you can paint them whatever colors you love!
- 1 Large Framed Rustic Pallet
- 5 X’s and 5 O’s from the 5″ Wooden Letters.
- Acrylic Paints
- 2″ Paint Brush
- #2 Paint Brush
- Decoupage Medium
- Red Polka Dot Tissue Paper
- Start by painting the front sides of the 5″ wooden letters. I painted my letters to look like fruit, here’s how:
For the Watermelons- Paint 5 wooden letter O’s with red acrylic paint, let dry. Use a small paint brush with black acrylic paint to paint on small rain drop shapes randomly across the letters as “seeds”. Let dry.
For the Pineapples- Paint 5 wooden letter X’s with yellow acrylic paint, let dry. Use orange acrylic paint to paint criss-crossed lines across the letters to look like pineapples. Let dry.
2. Paint the front of the large framed rustic pallet a lime green. I love the bright color for Summer.
3. Cut red polka dot tissue paper into 1.4″ wide strips.
4. Use decoupage medium to adhere the tissue paper around the side edges of the rustic pallet. Be sure to seal it well with the decoupage medium, so it won’t get damaged outdoors. You could also paint the edges instead of decoupaging, I just loved the tissue paper dots!
5. Use a ruler and a pencil to sketch lines where you need to paint your tic tac toe lines on the rust pallet. Because the letters are 5″ tall, so I spaced the lines 6″ apart.
6. Paint them with green acrylic paint.
Let dry completely and you’re done and ready to play a tic tac toe battle!!
The Framed Rustic Pallet is 21″ wide so it makes for a nice large board, which I love!
Bio: Katie is a 23 yr old artist currently living in the Pacific Northwest. She is a lover of everything crafty and is the girl behind the blog Punk Projects, where she posts scrapbook layouts, art journal pages, tutorials and all sorts of artsy things.