My teacher friends are always looking for new ways to stay organized in the classroom and these Book Boxes will do just that, PLUS look stylish on a desk or shelf!
Paint the ” book covers” to match your classroom and create as many “subjects” as you need! Then collect items in that theme and save in your Book Box until needed for that particular lesson.
These Book Boxes would also come in handy at home to organize decorating ideas or vacation memories, the possibilities are endless!
Here’s what you’ll need:
Americana Paints by DecoArt Blue Harbor, Victorian Blue, Hauser Light Green, Hauser Medium Green, Moon Yellow, Heritage Brick, Lamp Black, Cocoa, Fawn, Neutral Grey, Bleached Sand, Buttermilk and Desert Sand.
Americana Dazzling Metallics by DecoArt Emperor’s Gold
Americana Sealers by DecoArt Matte Spray Sealer
Tombow Xtreme Permanent Adhesive
Sanding block, 1” flat wash brush, #2 round brush, #4 filbert brush, water basin, palette, towel, letter stickers gold, black and white in various styles, crocheted lace trim 12” length, scissors
Here’s how to make it:
- Sand inside and outside of each box. Wipe down each box with a damp towel.
- Base coat top, spine and bottom of Roomy Box Heritage Brick, Cornice Box Moon Yellow, Keepsake Box #1 Blue Harbor and Keepsake Box #2 Hauser Light Green with 1” flat wash brush. Apply a second coat, if necessary.
- Base coat remaining three sides of Roomy Box Desert Sand, Cornice Box Buttermilk, Keepsake Box #1 Buttermilk and Keepsake Box #2 Bleached Sand with 1” flat wash brush. Apply a second coat, if necessary.
- To create the “page” effect dry brush Roomy Box Neutral Grey, Cornice Box Cocoa, Keepsake Box #1 Cocoa and Keepsake Box #2 Fawn with scruffy brush. Dip very tip of scruffy brush bristles in paint, pounce on palette to remove most of the paint, then lightly stroke on surface to create a striped effect that resembles individual pages of a book.
- Create the dotted spine detail on the top and bottom of the Roomy Box with Neutral Grey, Cornice Box with Cocoa, Keepsake Box #1 with Cocoa and Keepsake Box #2 Fawn using the #4 filbert brush. Accent the spine with a jagged line on the Roomy Box with Lamp Black, Cornice Box with Neutral Grey, Keepsake Box #1 Heritage Brick and Keepsake Box #2 Heritage Brick using #2 round brush.
- Embellish book spines with painted motifs of swirls, lines and dots, letter stickers and painted lace trim.
- Seal inside and outside of Book Boxes with several light coats of Matte Spray Sealer, letting dry between coats.
- Fill your Book Box with items themed to each subject.
Book Boxes would also make a great back to school gift for that special new teacher, highlighting their favorite subject, book title or even their last name.
Fill your Book Box with a book store gift card, note pad and pen to complete the gift and go to the head of the class!
Thanks for stopping by! -Beth