It’s the final day of the 5th Annual Handmade Holidays Blog Hop and wow, we’ve seen so many amazing ideas from all of the blogs on the hop! We think you’re really going to like the final gift ideas on the hop, like this one from Abby Davis. Be sure to scroll all the way to the end of the post to continue on the hop and to enter to win a prize pack with over $600 in craft supplies to help you give handmade this year.
And now, without further ado, Abby Davis’ project:
Gift season is upon us, and I’m think about what to get for my daughter. This patchwork wood bird is great wall art for a tween room. This sparkly wall art uses a Walnut Hollow Rustic Bird, Americana Acrylic paints, Glamour Dust Glitter Paint and a gem. I made this to match my tween girl’s room. For a more “grown up” look, use colors that match your decor and DecoArt Dazzling Metallics. This is a great project for a beginner painter. It’s not about perfection, but whimsy. Your own tween or teen could make this themselves. The bird, paint, paintbrushes, glue, and gems would make a great DIY gift.
Walnut Hollow and DecoArt provided me with their products to create this project.
- Walnut Hollow Rustic Bird
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paint in Festive Green
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paint in Snow White
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paint in Primary Blue
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paint in Primary Red
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paint in Primary Yellow
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paint in Turquoise Blue
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paint in Carousel Pink
- DecoArt Glamour Dust Glitter Paint in Purple Passion
- DecoArt Glamour Dust Glitter Paint in Limelight
- DecoArt Glamour Dust Glitter Paint in Turquoise Sparkle
- DecoArt Glamour Dust Glitter Paint in Magenta
- DecoArt Media Metallic Fluid Acrylic in Silver
- Clear flat back gem
- Flat paintbrush
- Detail paintbrush
1)Paint the edges Festive Green with a flat paintbrush.
2) Paint the back Festive Green with a flat paintbrush.
3) Using Carousel Pink, Turquoise Blue, purple, and bright green, paint a patchwork pattern with a flat paintbrush. The paint strokes are deconstructed feathers. I mixed a little Primary Red, Primary Blue, and Snow White to get purple. I mixed Festive Green and Primary Yellow to get bright green.
4) Paint back over the patchwork with the matching DecoArt Glamour Dust Glitter Paint colors. This give depth to the colors and adds shimmer.
4) Using DecoArt Media Metallic Fluid Acrylic in Silver, and a detail brush, paint a wing shape. Fill in the wing with arches for feather details.
5) Apply E6000 to the gem back with a toothpick. Press gem onto the bird for an eye. This glue sets up in about 30-60 minutes, but takes 72 hours to fully cure.
I love making gifts for loved ones, be it family or friends. Something handmade is always from the heart. Handmade gifts are treasured more than store bought gifts, as a lot of thought and time goes into personalizing it for the recipient. This project is great to customize. If birds aren’t your thing, check out the other wood shapes, in pine, Spring, basswood, and Christmas.
Abby has been an artist and crafter since she was a young child. She has been sewing and creating for 30 years. She has a degree in Fashion Design. She started her blog, Crafty Lady Abby in 2009, as a way of documenting her creations and motivating herself. She creates tutorials to share her creative knowledge and empower others to be creative.
Continue on the hop by clicking the next link in the list below – click the blue button to be taken to the link list.
Be sure to visit all of the blogs so you can enter our amazing giveaway of over $600 in craft supplies from all the sponsors.
Enter the giveaway by click this link and following the prompts: a Rafflecopter giveaway